Sunday 18 October 2015

The Z Files: Maria Savva ~ Pisces

Astrology ~ a bit of fun, a load of rubbish, or something to take seriously?

I invited around 70 writers/bloggers to write a piece about whether or not they're typical of their sign, and how its traits affect their writing life ~ if at all...

Has your favourite writer been featured yet?  Links to all previous posts at the end of this one :) 


Look what I've reeled in with my bait today ~ a big welcome for  Pisces novelist and short story writer, and one of the nicest and most helpful people I've met on Twitter, Maria Savva.  She has recently rewritten one of her first novels, and it's also been revamped and republished:  A Time To Tell.  You can find it on Amazon along with its very Piscean cover!


So, Maria, float out from behind that coral, shake off the seaweed and tell us about your Piscean self!


Creative, intuitive, artistic, musically inclined, soft, malleable, forgiving.... but also weak, can live too much in fantasy world, prone to escapism sometimes in form of drink or drugs, can be dishonest, but live so much in fantasy world that they believe own lies.

"I’ve always been interested in astrology. When I was a teenager I read “Linda Goodman’s Sun Signs” and it really made sense to me, so since then I’ve leaned towards believing that there’s some truth in it all. I even made my own birth chart once. I know that I have a Leo moon and that my rising sign is Taurus."


"I think I’m a fairly typical Piscean. I’ve always been quite shy, which is a typical trait. Creativity has always been a major thing for me. I loved art at school and, of course, creative writing. I’d say I’m very intuitive and tend to follow my feelings more than anything else. I have a wild imagination and I admit I probably do live too much in a fantasy world. I am a dreamer. I can totally believe something for ages and then have a ‘wake up’ moment realising it was not at all true. It’s Neptune’s influence, apparently—the planet that rules Pisces and is the master of illusion. I love having such a vivid imagination as it lends itself well to writing fiction, but it can sometimes mean the line between reality and fantasy in my own life sometimes becomes blurry. It’s fine though, as I’ve never been much of a fan of reality! :)"


I think Maria even looks Piscean - ooh look, and she's sitting by the sea!  You can find out more about her and her numerous books on her website (there are several novels of assorted genres, and she's written short story collections of her own, as well as contributing to various anthologies), and follow her on Twitter, where she is a great retweeter and supporter of others' work.  And let's not forget her music blog on the UK Arts Directory!

I was a bit stumped when choosing famous Pisces writers for Maria, as her work goes across the board (thus, the mutable fish), so I chose two completely different ones:

....Victorian poet, born in County Durham, Elizabeth Barrett Browning


.... and American chick lit author Emily Giffin:)




Coming next time: Sagittarius

Previous Posts (click on the writer's name to view):
Aquarius and Capricorn: Nicky Black
Pisces: Sacha Black
Taurus: Val Poore
LibraJoanne B

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely Z file. Great to read more about Maria, and I love the book cover! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelley! The book cover was designed by Kat at Aeternum Designs. She did a great job! x

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for featuring me here, Terry! I love the way you've presented it xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun is this! And, yes, I'd say Maria's book cover looks quite Piscean. It's nice that she knows her moon and rising sign, too. My friend had a book years ago that described traits for the sun/moon combo - and it was eerily accurate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tui :) Yes, the cover is very Piscean. Not intentional, but a nice coincidence :) I've always been fascinated by astrology. I used to read my horoscope every day at one time...

      Delete
  4. Maria, how lovely to see you here!! I always mean to be more in touch with you, but time for tweeting is limited and I miss many of my favourite people when they're online and we all know how fast feeds disappear. You sound like a lovely Piscean to me. I love the Pisces nature. Always so gentle. And your book looks great. I'll have to put that on my list too. So nice to find out more about you and good luck with the publication! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Val! :) Glad you enjoyed it. I know what you mean about finding time to keep up with people online! I often miss lots of posts. Your latest book looks like a fun read. I'll add that to my list xx

      Delete
  5. Agree with all Val's comments, very interesting piece and good to learn more about Maria. She was one of my very first twitter friends, and is always unstintingly kind, generous and ultra supportive to me and to many others. Maybe generosity of spirit and kindness are some of the things that also make her an excellent writer too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Geoff :) Glad you enjoyed the blog post x

      Delete
  6. The Piscean world sounds like a lovely one to live in and I love the thought of you having to wake yourself up from your fantasies Maria :-) A super post and I love the book cover too.

    ReplyDelete