Sunday 30 August 2015

The Z (Zodiac) Files: Terry Tyler & Proofreader Julia ~ Leo & Aries


Welcome to The Z Files!  I invited around 70 authors, bloggers, proofreaders, etc, to tell me about their sign of the zodiac, what it means to them (if anything!) and the effect its characteristics have on their work.

For all other posts, please see the links at the end of this piece. I've had a pleasing response so far, and am now posting three or four times a week.  I've also been checking out the star signs of some (more!) famous writers, for use in each post :) 


I'll start the ball rolling with my Leo self, followed by a fellow fire sign, my proofreading Aries sister ~ welcome to The Z Files!



Me ~ Leo

Traditionally, Leos are golden lions, charismatic and confident (think Mick Jagger, Barack Obama, Kate Bush, Mae West, JLo, Robert Redford) with an overbearing streak (Madonna, Mussolini, Napoleon).  But a Leo's confidence can be a shaky thing.  On a good days I feel positive I'm a moderately okay human being and a reasonable writer.  On bad days I know that I'm not only old, fat and stupid, but have just written 30K words of utter codswallop, and any talent I did possess has disappeared.  However, I'm basically an optimistic and practical person, so the next day I will get a grip!  The determination bit makes me sit down, day after day, when it's sunny outside; I spent the afternoon of the Christmas Day before last redrafting Kings and Queens ~ which is a very Leo title! 


Warm hearted, friendly and fun, cheerful... it depends. I don't do the social media thing unless that's how I'm feeling, because my Leo pride doesn't want my online presence to be a depressing one!  Generous?  Usually, I hope.  I'm fairly helpful, and I do my best to spread the word about others' work that I love, to the extent that I even bore the person I'm supporting.  And I'm not slack about getting the beers in!  Romantic... not in an idealistic, girly way, but I do have a tendency to be swept away by grand passion; now I am in the autumn of my years (and happily married), though, I write about it instead!  As for born to rule ~ well, I can be a bit bossy....'I think you should do it my way' - urgh! I try to curb it, though not always very successfully...I'm forever thinking 'oh God, I came on a bit too forcefully there, didn't I' ~ I loathe myself sometimes!  Which takes us back to confidence...

.:*´`*:.

I was worried that nobody would respond to this (maybe because of my Leo shaky confidence!), so I roped in my sister, Julia, to write a bit for me, too.  In typically Aries fashion, she said 'Oh God, if I must, I'm not a bloody writer, I never know what to put', or something similar... but then came up with this, most promptly - also very Aries of her!

Julia Gibbs ~ The Aries Proofreader


"I am, I believe, very typical of my sign. I started my own proofreading business because I don’t want anyone else to tell me what to do. I see myself as a sort of champion of correct grammar and punctuation, cutting through typos and errors with my sword of righteousness! This gives me great satisfaction, because Aries people are very fond of military metaphors, and also see things in black and white, right and wrong. And we’re champions of the underdog – oh yes, that’s me, I believe very strongly in promoting indie authors, whose work has as much right to be seen as that of traditionally published authors. Once more unto the breach, dear friends* (ps, Julia, Henry V was actually a Leo!) with me on your side you can steal a march on the competition!"


I would like to add that, in a very Aries way, Julia has a reputation for honesty and professionalism, - hey, she even delivers mine on time!  She also doesn't beat about the bush, which is something I appreciate in any sphere of life

You can follow Julia on Twitter or find out more about her on her blog, on which she does actually write some rather good pieces!  You can also find out more about what she does so successfully for many writers.

.:*´`*:.

Now for the 'we are not worthy' bit:

One of mine and Julia's all time favourites, 
wonderful Leo Writer Dorothy Parker


..... and another lady we both love, Aries writer Elizabeth Jane Howard. 




Thank you for joining us!  Up next: Gemini

All other posts - just click on the name to see the article:
GeminiHaydn Lee, Norah Colvin, Jerome Dumont, John Privilege, Shelley Wilson
Aquarius and CapricornNicky Black
SagittariusJan Ruth, Adrienne Vaughan, Rachel Amphlett,  
Wendy J Lennox, Katrina Mountfort, 
LeoRose Edmunds, Anne Goodwin, Alex Johnson, Rosie Amber
CancerJune Kearns, Emma Gray, Sarah Boucher, Katie Oliver, Mark Barry
VirgoHeather Burnside, Louise Marley, Elizabeth Ducie, Barb Taub,
AquariusCathy Ryan, Lynda Renham,
PiscesLizzie Lamb, Julie Haiselden, Maria Savva, Sacha Black,
ScorpioJudith Barrow, Gen Gannon, Stacey Garrity, Gemma Lawrence, Robert Leigh,  
Catherine Hokin, Jenny Twist,
TaurusValerie-Anne Baglietto, Valerie Poore,
AriesJoanne Phillips, Trisha Ashley, Cynthia Harrison
LibraMarcia Carrington, Tom Hocknell, Jen Ammoscato, Joanne B 
CapricornGeorgia Rose, Wendy Janes, Annie Lyons, blogger Steffany R

 

46 comments:

  1. Thank you! I'm also not above demonstrating my erudition by quoting from Henry V, ha ha! I look forward to reading about the other signs, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall edit your piece to include that, I think!!!

      Delete
  2. I love your new feature, Terry. It's great fun to see another side to the people we meet online. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you will enjoy yours on Wednesday! It's great fun getting them all in, and I love looking for the pictures and famous writers :)

      Delete
  3. What a fun post! I'm a bit of an astrology geek, I'm married to a Leo so can relate to much of this! In my exp. Leos are generally cheerful and gregarious, but occasionally grumpy and bossy too ;-) One of my best friends is an Aries, they are definitely strong willed and know what they want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Steff! Yes, that all describes me - feeling a bit grumpy today, ha ha! Glad you like - much more to come! :)

      Delete
  4. Great idea, Terry! It's sometimes a bit scary to see how true to their star signs people are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Thanks, June - I look forward to receiving the New Romantics' post later on! (I presume Lizzie has told you, ha ha!)

      Delete
  5. Haha, brilliant! I am now full of inspiration! I'm just rubbish at writing about myself (which is why I'm so crap as self-promotion!). Such a fun and interesting way to analyse writers though, looking forward to being part of it. Will get my skates on soon now life is getting back into gear with the school going back next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much look forward to your piece, Emma - I'm loving doing them, and you'll be able to see more as the weeks go on, they vary so much in length/tone :) Let me know if you want any more lists of traits to inspire you :)

      Delete
  6. What a brilliant idea! Can vouch for Julia's 'honesty and professionalism'. And Terry's 'generosity' - I bet most of us.Is there still time to join in? Or have you already got a Scorpio? If you have, looking forward to seeing how they think of themselves!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, I sent you all the details!!!! I'll send them again - I'm not just doing one of each sign, it's an ongoing thing, because everyone exhibits the traits differently. I've got 2 Scorpios already, and welcome a third, especially you!!!! Will send email now :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your kind words, Judith, especially from a Scorpio!

      Delete
  7. I love this Terry. My hubby and I are both Leos, our two daughters are both Aries so it was a fiery household when they lived with us. I am the bossy Leo, usually cheerful but often lacking confidence, my eldest daughter is always right and organises everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey! Yes, all fire! I used to live with a Leo man - a very fiery relationship. You and your daughter sound like Julia and me! :) Do feel free to send me a Leo piece - I did send you the original email, I think! Can be between 200-500 words long, a nice picture, and I'll sort out all the links to Twit and blog. No worries if you don't fancy it! :)

      Delete
  8. Love the posts, it’s great idea and I’m really interested to read about the different personalities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Cathy, it makes us so much more than just a photo and some tweets! :)

      Delete
  9. Very interesting to learn about the pair of you, I'm a taurus, and am typically obstinate and pig-headed, but don't know if I have any of the better qualities (if there are any). I don;lt go in for astroloigy really, but when things are pointed out by others, it's suprising how often character traits seem to come through, so there must be something in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is indeed, Geoff, and Taureans have plenty of positive traits - you can rely on them, for a start :)

      Delete
  10. Great series! I'm a Pisces with Gemini rising....definitely will have to think about this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Joy - and I can imagine how changeable you must be, with that combination!!

      Delete
  11. This is so much fun! I know almost nothing about astrology, so it's interesting to see how people compare themselves to "their" signs. (Kinda scary too when it works so well!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it always does, Barb - even when people think it doesn't....!

      Delete
  12. I love this T, a great start to your new feature. I just need to type mine up :D I can't wait to find out what star signs all my favourite writers. bloggers and online pals are. I wonder if there will be any surprises :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, my 3rd Leo - that's not counting me!!! Yes, I had some surprises - I love doing this, sod writing novels!!!

      Delete
    2. It's such a fantastic idea :D

      Delete
  13. I'm a Leo too and I married an Aries, funny how these two signs have come together more than once in just this one post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seemed to remember you were an Leo too, Rosie! I'd love a post from you, but do understand that you're probably too busy! Re them coming together - yes, I noticed that, they so often do! x

      Delete
  14. This is terrific T! I'm not into astrology at all but you can't help looking at the traits and seeing which you recognise in yourself - I shall look forward to doing mine in a little while :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really enjoyed this! My older daughter is an Aries, my younger, a Leo, and I'm a Libra. My husband's a Capricorn, so it was fun watching the dynamics. An interesting way to look at writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there are some power struggles in your house then, Judy - with you keeping the peace, perhaps!! :)

      Delete
  16. Terry, this is such a great new feature! As a Leo writer, I see many, many similarities between the way you see yourself and the way I do. Especially the days of feeling like a decent writer vs. the days of being certain I should never write another word because my writing sucks! And then, pulling it together the next day and trying again. I'm looking forward to reading future columns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you're one, too! I'll tweet to you in a minute! :)

      Delete
  17. This is a brilliant post, Terry, and a brilliant idea. What ideal sisters you and Julia make! I'm a Capricorn (only just!) but exhibit a lot of the traits of this star sign. Capricorn women are supposed to get more attractive as they get older but sadly I'm still waiting ;) I'd love to take part if you'll have me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, yes, and more youthful! Yes, of course you may take part ~ just send me a DM with your email and I'll send you the details :)

      Delete
  18. I've already said it, but such a brilliant idea deserves a second shot: I love your concept!
    I don't feel the need to "hope for the best" as it's so clear that no hope is needed here !
    Dunno which part of my gemini personality loves more this idea. Guess it's equal ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Jerome!!! Ah, maybe both parts - I look forward to featuring you! xx

      Delete
  19. Thank you - I'm so looking forward to posting them all. Would love one from you when you have a moment, I know how busy you are! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun way to introduce and showcase people on your blog. A very creative idea. It was lovely to find out a little more about the wonderful you and meet your sister. I look forward to reading more fun posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... it was never meant to get this big, I only meant it to be a little occasional thing with a couple of short paragraphs from people (as were my original instructions, but if you ask a writer for 150-200 words you get 500!), but then I kept getting longer and longer pieces, so I'm now doing everyone on their own instead of 2/3 at a time... I've now got posts scheduled up until mid November already.... not sure when the next novel's going to get started!!!! :^D

      Delete
  21. What a great kick-off! This was a really fun post! Isn't it amazing how these characteristics show through in what we do and how we approach it? Wonderful, TT, although I was surprised at the uncertainty part in yours. I know lots of Leos and they all strike me as being particularly self assured, but maybe they too have these moments of doubt :) I'm also surprised you and Julia don't seriously clash, but not surprised you make a great team with your combined strengths!! Fab!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because Leos often only present themselves when they feel all golden-lion-ish!!! No, J and I have always got on really well, though do talk over each other :)

      Delete
  22. Michelle Taylor (Barden)16 February 2016 at 14:21

    Reading your blog has sent me down memory lane - miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle!!!!! How on earth did you find this??!! I've looked for you a couple of times on social media and not found you - hundreds of Michelle Taylors! If you're on Twitter do get in touch (if you want to!), or find me on FB as Terry Stark, but I don't use the site very often. I still see Amy, you remember, Stevie's little friend who is now almost 32! Would love to hear from you xxx

      Delete