Thursday 21 August 2014

I've been nominated for the ONE LOVELY BLOG award...


.... by Diane Mannion, children's party venue expert and soon to be debut novelist ~ thank you Diane!  You can read her post HERE




As per the rules of the blog hop tour award thingy, please see below 7 facts about me (because you're really gagging to know all about me, right?) (oh, okay, then....) and links to 15 blogs that I enjoy, and wish to recommend to you.

If I've nominated your blog, please don't feel under any obligation to join in with this; I was just pleased to pick up the baton from Diane, as it were, so that I could spread the word about fifteen blogs that I like.  But if you would like to join in, here's what to do:

The rules:  Link back to the blog of the person who nominated you, share 7 facts about yourself, and nominate 15 blogs that you particularly like.  I suppose you can do less if you can't think of 15!



7 things about me...


1.  I love South Park.  At the moment, I watch at least two episodes each night.  I also have a model of Eric Cartman on the mantelpiece.



2.  The older I get, the more interested I become in history, perhaps because I will soon be it.  After my current work in progress is published (it's the sequel to KINGS AND QUEENS), I shall be starting on a work of historical fiction that's been lurking in the 'to write' part of my brain for years ~ more anon....

3.  I tried to write a Christmas novella earlier this year, but couldn't make it schmaltzy and 'heartwarming' enough.   The characters kept swearing and doing really crap things to each other.  

4.  Autumn is my favourite season, and I long for it each year.  I love it when you can smell it in the air for the first time, which is usually early in the morning around my birthday in the first week of August.  

5.  I love Aerosmith, have seen them many times and met them twice.  The titles of all my books except one are Aerosmith song titles; even the individual stories in my shorts collection Nine Lives are.  There's no particular reason for me doing this, apart from to amuse myself.



6.  I like being at home with my husband and having time to write more than I like anything, so as I have both of these wishes granted most of the time, I consider myself to be one of the luckiest people I know.

7.  My ideal summer afternoon would be spent walking along a beach somewhere, preferably ending up with a visit to a place of historic interest where I could have a good potter about and imagine myself as a 16th century maiden, or something.  I lived by the sea for 9 years and miss it very, very much; never a day went past when I didn't marvel at how fortunate I was to live somewhere where I could be wandering by the sea within five minutes, any time I liked.   


Photo by Jackie Rivett 

Right!  That's the me-me-me bit over - now here are 15 blogs that are well worth subscribing to.  I've put them in sections ~ please click on the name, and it'll take you to the blog.

Mostly to do with writing/self-publishing:
Proofreader Julia
Alicia Kline
Julie Stock
Joanne Phillips

Life on the ocean waves (and rivers & canals!):
Val Poore
Charles Dougherty

General interesting history stuff, and much more
Liz Lloyd
Tui Snider
Zoe Saadia

Guaranteed to make you laugh
Jen Ammoscato
Greg Mischio

Mostly books, but other stuff too
Emma Gray (not book reviews)
Rosie Amber
A Woman's Wisdom
Between The Lines


Okay, that's me done ~ enjoy!



Photo by Jackie Rivett






27 comments:

  1. Terry, thank you so much for nominating my blog for this award. I am honoured and grateful to you for picking me out and telling all your readers. I will get on to it very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Julie - it's so hard to just pick 15, I know!

      Delete
  2. Hi Terry,
    Thanks for the nomination, loved reading all about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome - I hope you find time to do it, but don't worry if you don't!

      Delete
  3. Bless you, TT. Thank you for linking to my humble blog. I'm trying to avoid all things social media (apart from posting a few pics) but I'm still reading blogs (one thing I cannot stop doing). I've missed you though and when I'm done with this intense period I'll look forward to being back in the fray again.

    This was a great post. I think we have so much in common, you and I. For Aerosmith, I'd probably substitute a different band although I love Aerosmith, but there are others I'm even fonder of, but apart from that - and that fact that you actually do what I'd love to do - we are at one! XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Vally Pee, we miss you too! I hope your time away is good for you in whatever way xx

      Delete
  4. What an honor! Thanks for including me in your blog list. I look forward to checking them all out.

    I enjoyed your list of interesting facts about yourself. You got me humming the theme to South Park now!

    Like you, I once lived by the sea. I miss it like crazy, too.

    I'll let you know when my response post goes up. I'm visiting family up in Washington State this week, so it'll be a wee bit tardy on my end!

    Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No hurry, Tui - just means I get to read everyone else's interesting facts too!!!! Have a good week (in all these far away places I'd love to see!) x

      Delete
  5. Congratulations Terry. Great to see your nominations: some I already know, others I'll check out. It was lovely to read these little tidbits about you. I love the sound of your Christmas novella. Sounds firmly planted in reality! Don't give up on it yet. Your life style with hubby and beach close by sounds enviable. May you share many years of enjoyment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, the beach is no longer close by, Norah! Tis why it is so missed. But the rest is lovely, yes thank you! As for the Christmas novella, I guess what I was meaning to convey was that I was GLAD to give up on it....!!! Maybe by next year everyone will have got bored with all the cupcake cafe ones and it'll be worth putting out, but somehow I doubt it, ha ha!!! Thanks for reading the post, and I'm pleased to have given you some new blogs to look at!

      Delete
  6. Hi Terry,

    Thank you so much for the shout out - it's greatly appreciated!

    I especially enjoyed your factoid #3. It quite literally made me snort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I always enjoy reading what you have to say :) Yeah, re factoid 3, I was about 15K words in and I suddenly sat back and went, naaah, this isn't happening, is it!!!! Reminded me there is no point in trying to write for a market....!!!

      Delete
  7. Thanks, Terry! I didn't know you had lived by the sea for so long. There's nothing that I find quite as inspiring as watching the waves roll in.
    Sorry the Christmas Novella didn't work out, but I'm looking forward to whatever you write next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was wonderful, Bud.... sigh...!!! Currently 45K words into the sequel to Kings and Queens, just for yooo!!! :) Hope things are going swimmingly for you and L xx

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you could make the blog post Terry. It was interesting finding out a bit more about you. I loved your fact three too - cupcake café is not my style either. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it the very day you nominated me, Diane!!! In fact I had far too many blogs i wanted to nominate, so I've given half of them to my sister for hers :^D. As for the cupcake cafe books - there are SO many of them!!! If you look on the also boughts on Amazon of any chick lit book, but especially the Christmas ones, half of them mention cafes and cakes, and the ones that don't are probably still about them, ha ha!!!! I mean, bandwagon, or what...! :)

      Delete
  9. The South Park Movie will always be one of my favourite things ever. (And that's not something I admit often! ;-))

    Also hear you on the "characters not doing what the heck you want/expect them to do" front - I swear they can be worse than stroppy children at times!

    Lovely post, always nice to learn more about someone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, glad to find another one - yes, I love the SP movie!!! Thanks for reading - and I was late coming to your blog or I would have nominated it, but what I've done is given the link to my sister, so she can have a look and nominate in hers, because she loves history too! xx

      Delete
  10. I've been humming the La Resistance song ever all morning now, would dig out the CD, but not in front of the kids! ("Mummy, what does *insert something highly inappropriate* mean?"!!!)

    And on the blog front, bless you! That is so very thoughtful, thank you very much! It is still very much a "new" blog so mentions like that are very much appreciated. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha!!!!!! I love it :)

      Oh good - will give you a nice chance to publicise it a bit too, then!

      Delete
  11. Hi Terry, I enjoyed reading your post - your sense of humour really comes through.No. 3 made me laugh out loud. Living by the sea is a dream, but somewhere warmer than where I am now, N. E. Scotland (not complaining, the scenery's gorgeous, just saying). A well deserved award! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Teagan, thanks for reading! Yes, number 3 does seem to amuse everyone; perhaps I ought to write a spoof Christmas book???!!! Likiing the cold weather as I do, my move to NE England suits me for that reason; I'll nip outside and wave up the coast to you!

      Delete
  12. Great blog, Terry :) Loved finding out more about you. You made me laugh when you said you tried writing a Christmas story but the characters swore too much hahaha!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, it was hopeless - and I'd got halfway through it before I realised that there wasn't a cupcake cafe in it, so it never would have sold anyway, ha ha ha!!!!! Hope you've seen your nomination on Julia's blog xx

      Delete
  13. "The older I get, the more interested I become in history, perhaps because I will soon be it. "
    Totally the best phrase of today, and yesterday and maybe the whole year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thank you very much indeed! That really made me laugh, and even brought a tear to my eye!

      Delete
  14. Bah, humbug for the cupcake cafe. And bring me some frigging pudding. I like your crap characters already.

    ReplyDelete