Saturday, 24 May 2014

The Chocolate Book Tag Challenge


Firstly, I would like to thank the very lovely Tara Ford for tagging me in this rather bizarre blog thingy!  Here is her post: http://taraford.weebly.com/blog/chocolate-book-tag-challenge

Eating chocolate and reading kind of go together like Walter White and Jesse Pinkman, don't they?  Or, if you haven't discovered the joy of Breaking Bad yet, like Danaerys and her dragons.  Oh, you don't watch Game of Thrones, either?  Okay - like a new Kate Atkinson and a nice bag of Cadbury's Chocolate Eclairs!



One of the nicest things any reader of my books ever said to me was that when a new one comes out she savours it like she does Lindt chocolates - and reads them WITH Lindt chocolates!  When we were children, my sister and I would go to the library every Saturday afternoon and, when we got home, lie on our beds for hours with our chosen books, immersing ourselves in them whilst eating the once a week Saturday sweets.  Ah, the innocent pleasures of a 1960s childhood!  It was one of the highlights of the week.

The Chocolate Blog Tag Challenge requires me to pick six books and decide which item of (chocolate) confectionary would best go with them. Just thinking about it and compiling the pictures made me want to get stuck in, so I hope it does the same for you - or not, if you're trying to keep off the sweet stuff, as I am!  Oh, and if you want to look at the book, just click on the title - I am absolutely made up that I've finally discovered how to do that!!

Here goes: 

First of all, the book I am currently reading - The Night Porter by Mark Barry.



I'm really loving it!  Now, although I'd like to think of the porter snuggled up at his desk with a nice cup of cocoa, the book is actually quite dark in places, with some wonderful cynical observations ~ and I would like to enjoy something dark, crisp, with a bit of a bite - what could be more appropriate than After Eights?



My next book is John Boyne's The Thief of Time ~ a marvellous story, about a man who is born in the 18th century but never ages past 50.  Thus, he lives until the 21st century.... 



He's quite a multi-faceted gentleman, this character, and the book made me think of days gone by, which, for a reason I can't fathom, made me think of Raspberry Ruffles.  Perhaps I ate them as a child!  Anyway, a nice bag of these would go beautifully with this book, and a few cups of Earl Grey...




Now a ghostly Spanish mystery ~Mantequero a wonderful, longish short story by Jenny Twist.   



The sequel, a novella called Disappeared, again about the mysterious Mantequero, is next on my reading list.  I wanted to choose something a bit dark and exotic to go with this - yes, yes I know Old Jamaica is nowhere near Spain but Jamaica rum made me think of dusty Spanish mountainsides, for some reason... and I love the price on the chocolate bar!  You could eat as many of these as you wanted, if the Mantequero got hold of you.... you'll have to read it to find out what I mean!




Next I've chosen fabulous adventure drama The Highlander by Zoe Saadia



Now, I don't know if there were such things as lions around in pre-Aztec South America, and suspect that there probably weren't (look, it's over a year since I read the book, okay?!), but I had to choose a Lion Bar to go with this, simply because of the wrapper/cover thing!  




One of my favourite books EVER is The Big Picture by Douglas Kennedy



It's about a man who, because of an accident that would have looked like murder, has to disappear and become someone else, far away.  It's a gripping story, and one of those ones you really can't put down - so to read it you're going to need a very comfortable sofa with lots of cushions, a big pot of coffee and, every fifteen minutes or so, a piece of chocolate... as I said, you won't want to put it down, so you'll need a BIG bar of....




Lastly and definitely not leastly ~ chocolate was made for chick lit, wasn't it? I'm not a big chick lit fan, but I do like the odd one if I'm in the right mood, as long as it's got a good story and a great writer.  The very best chick lit book I've ever read is Mother of the Year by Karen Ross



I think of this genre as pure self-indulgent escapism, so what better to go with this book than the most self-indulgent confection of the lot?  Thornton's Summer Collection - just WOW!  If you haven't tried them, just... DO!



I can tag one other person, so if anyone would like to do it, please let me know in a comment

Thank you!






I'm tagging ... Ngaire Elder
I'm tagging ... The Green Wizard 
(click on names for blog - yippee, now I know how to do this I'll be linking words to tons of stuff all over the place!!!)

23 comments:

  1. Fab choice of chocolates Terry however, I haven't read any of the books but I'm compelled to do so now - just so that I can eat the recommended chocolates to go with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother of the Year would be right up your street, Tara! I know what you mean - I though this blog subject was a bit daft at first, but as I started to do it, the choices started to SPEAK TO ME!!! ha ha! Now I want that Thorntons selection...!

      Delete
    2. .....oh, and I think you'd like Mantequero as well, it's really good and only a quick read!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Terry, I'll try them both, with said chocolates of course! ;)

      Delete
    4. Tara, I linked Mantequero to the wrong book!!!! But it's the right one now, do get it, you'll love it, I promise!

      Delete
  2. What a fun blog post - love your choice of books and choci! Never tasted Cadbury's Old Jamaica, is it yummy, Terry? And an interesting selection of books - varied and intriguing. Would love to be tagged! n x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OLd Jamaica is GORGEOUS - not sure if you can still get it! Right - you're tagged!!!

      Delete
    2. Got my stash of choci to get my blog feature done! Thank you, n x

      Delete
    3. My daughter went to Cadbury's World 2 weeks ago and brought back a large bar of Old Jamaica in a totally different wrapper. I'm afraid I can't show you what it looks like a it's all been eaten but it wasn't such an appropriate picture.

      Delete
  3. I don't actually like chocolate (I know, I know, I'm a freak…sorry), but I loved this idea! Sounds like a great collection…of chocolate anyway…haha! I'd like to try one of Jenny Twist's books when I have time, and The Big Picture is now on my list too. Don't put me on your tag list, though, TT. I'd get a tummy ache just thinking of all that chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, ssssshhhhh - I'm not that bothered about it, either. I mean, I like it sometimes but I don't rave about it. If I'm going sweet, I prefer ice cream. Good choices re books - you will become a total Douglas Kennedy addict if you read that, like I did!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the mention, Terry. :D My favourite (and therefore the Night Porter's favourite) is - Fry's Chocolate Cream. Do you remember those? Can I do this blog hop thing. Don't usually do any hopping, but this one is about books and choc choc - two of my favourite things. And beer and kebabs. Can you start a blog hop about beer and kebabs? :D Hope all is well. Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, M, of course you can do it!!!!! I shall tag you now!!!! See email re Frys CC :)

      Delete
  5. I felt the same as Tara. I immediately wanted to buy all the books on the list. Interestingly we did make rum in Spain. For years it was the major industry where I live on the Costa del Sol. We still have loads of sugar cane as windbreaks or just growing wild. Thank you for including my story in your list, Terry. You were already my favourite indie author and you've also became one of my favourite people. Love, Jenny xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure is mine. And I'd just like to say that Disappeared is terrific, I'm reading it now!

      Aha, perhaps that Old Jamaica thing was a race memory from a past life, then!!!

      Delete
    2. I've just discovered that I had Mantequero linked to the John Boyne book.... but it's the right one now!!!

      Delete
  6. Hi Terry.
    I hate to upset you, but clicking on the covers didn't work for me. Mind you, I don't trust my computer, so it could be me. Already got The Highlander, just looking at The Thief of Time. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, not the covers, the names of the books!!!!

      Delete
  7. Hahaha ...fun! I tend to stuff white chocolate on all occasions...but recall many of the choc bars from the past: Fry's 5 Boys ... Sandwich bars....maybe a post on childhood reading & choc next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the books of childhood - would make a nice post, to go with my other nostalging ones, wouldn't it?

      Delete
  8. Oh dear. Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I've been craving the Thornton's collection and Old Jamaica since I wrote this!

      Delete
  9. Mmm, chocolate! Nice selection there, Terry! What else was featured? Oh yes, books! Books are good too ;-)

    ReplyDelete