Friday, 22 February 2013

The Liebster Blog Award




Okay, I've joined in and am doing one of these things!  I've been nominated by my dear friend, the aqualicious, mermaid-tastic K J Waters - see her post here ~  Her blog is fab, and always has lots of lovely pictures :)
http://kjwatersauthor.blogspot.co.uk/

This bit I copied and pasted from KJ's post, to tell people what it's all about ~

The purpose of the Liebster Blog Award is to recognize blogs with fewer than 200 followers that deserve a look. My job is to list 11 random facts about me, answer the 11 questions KJ has set me, then to nominate 11 new bloggers, who should bask in the Liebster glow - which means doing the same as I am doing here! ie, post a blog linking back here, with 11 random facts about you, answer my 11 questions and nominate 11 new bloggers (and think of 11 questions to ask them - can be anything!). Off we go then...  If you want to do it but the thought of finding 11 other bloggers to tag & thinking up questions puts you off, just do the 11 random facts about yourself, and answer my questions! :)


11 random facts about me

1.  I have weird eating habits.  I hope my 11.30 am breakfast of banana, kiwi fruit, blueberries, yogurt and spirulina counteracted the ice-cream and chocolate sauce I ate at 4.30 this morning.


2.  I'm very interested in the sociological history of America.  Most of all, though, I love those weird nicknames for each of the states.  I mean, The Lone Star state (Texas) you can understand (I think), but why on earth is Missouri called The Show Me State?  Well, here's why!
http://www.50states.com/bio/nickname3.htm#.USdWcUaZuNY

3.  I am fascinated by anything to do with early polar exploration and have read loads of stuff about it.

4. My hair is a mass of frizzy corkscrews and it takes me 45 minutes to straighten it every time I wash it.

5.  I have met Joan Collins (beautiful and charming), Kate Bush (beautiful and sweet), Steven Tyler (most excellent dude!) and Steve Harley of Cockney Rebel (arrogant git).

6.  I am a Leo and used to be very into the characteristics of each sign;  I could guess what people were.  My husband, best friend and brother think it's all a load of bollocks, which is pretty typical of them, as they are all Taureans.

7.  You know how fans of Feng Shui say you should have a water feature in your front garden?  From 2000-2009 I lived on the sea front in Cromer, Norfolk; my water feature was the North Sea.  My flat was a five minute walk along the sea front from the right of this picture.  It was lovely!




8.  Having been a dedicated toper for most of my life, I suddenly went off alcohol about 18 months ago.  Weird; I kind of miss that 'what the hell, let's open another bottle' thing... 

9.  I love smoking.  Since my husband gave up, though, I have cut down to only 1-4 a day, all smoked outside (hmmph!)  I still think that smoking makes you look hard and cool, though, and that non-smokers are wimps.  Um, that's kind of a joke, by the way!

10.  I love Game Of Thrones, and when I am in bed at night I sometimes pretend that I am sleeping under a bearskin, or something, at Winterfell.



11.  The first single I ever bought was Silver Machine by Hawkwind, in 1972.




NOW - the 11 questions that KJ gave me!

1. What is your favorite line from a movie and why?  

"Your father was a hamster and your mother smelt of elderberries!" - the French Taunter in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  Actually, it's not my favourite line at all, I haven't got a clue what is; I just put that in, in case Zoe Saadia, George Angus or Tim Davis are reading this :)

2. What celebrity do you think you resemble or perhaps people have told you look like?  

About 15 years ago I worked in a pub where all the male regulars used to call me 'Bonnie' because they thought I looked like Bonnie Tyler.  We had those security things to log into the till with; the landlord changed mine to say 'Bonnie'.  I don't think anyone in the pub knew what my real name was...  I've been called Goldie Hawn a few times, not least of all by KJ !!  She now calls me Glodie, in honour of my typos.  ps, I wish I really did look like Goldie Hawn; I don't look anything like her, it's only my hair which makes people say it.


Bonnie Tyler - I'm slightly less airbrushed than her!!!!


3. Share a favorite line or paragraph from your novel.

Here's one, off the top of my head - not necessarily my favourite.  It's from Dream On, where Dave and Janice are arguing about the upbringing of their son


“Giving Harley ‘a rounded education’ doesn’t just mean playing James Brown to him as well as Led Zeppelin,” Janice said, turning the CD player off.  “How about teaching him to read and write, too?”
“But he needs to know about the soul greats,” Dave complained...


4. Name 3 things that you love about being a writer.


1. Wearing pyjamas all day
2. It's a good excuse not to do the housework
3. Getting so absorbed in something that I don't notice a meal time has passed.

5. What is your favorite place on the planet?


Depends what for.  Loads of beautiful wonderful places the world over, of course, but if I had to choose one location to be most of the time, it would have to be right here, with my husband, in our flat.  I'm very, very happy here.

6. What was your favorite character to write? Why?

I can't pick just one.  Lately I've really enjoyed writing Shane in Full Circle, my upcoming 5th novel; he was also in Dream On.  He's a lovable womaniser ... well, not particularly lovable to some of the women whose lives he turns upside down, but you know what I mean!


7. If you were guaranteed to be safely returned unharmed what risky thrill would you try (i.e., Bungee jumping, free diving, scuba with sharks.)


Bungee jumping, sky diving, white water rafting, you name it.  Guaranteed unharmed would make me try anything.  I love adrenalin rushes.

8. Put a link to your favorite blog post here. Tell us why it's your favorite.

Again, it's not my favourite, because I find it impossible to just pick one of anything, but this is one I like - Love Truths!  It's a fun one, with a lot of truth in it, too - it's been a popular one for people to read, as well :)

http://terrytyler59.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/love-truths.html

9. What is your favorite band or singer?

The mighty Aerosmith!



10. Pop, rock, opera, classical, folk, rap... what's your favorite type of music?

I'm totally a rock chick!!!!  I love bits of all sorts of music as well, though, from Debussy to Girls Aloud :)

11. What author has inspired your writing the most?

Dare I say Jilly Cooper? Seriously - because when I read her first few short novels that she wrote in the 1970s (Harriet, Prudence, etc - they were excellent, and not like the daft stuff she got into later), I thought - oh, she thinks about things like I do.  And she writes about all that stuff she thinks, too....


Here are the 11 questions I am asking the people I've tagged - yes, you must answer these!


1.  What's your favourite flavour of crisps?


2.  How many of other people's blog posts do you read per day, on average?


3.  If you weren't promoting your book/blog, would you still use Twitter/Facebook so much? If not, how much would you?


4.  Do you smoke?  If not, did you ever?  (I know at least one person I've tagged has good reason to really, really hate it)


5.  When a doctor asks you how much you drink, do you lie?


6.  What is your star sign?  Do you know about the typical characteristics of that sign, and if so, which ones apply to you?


7.  Do you remember your first blog post?  What was it about?


8.  Imagine you have to give up these four things for a month:  Alcohol, writing, listening to music, television.  Starting with the one you would find the easiest to give up, in what order would you find them the easiest to do without?  


9.  I love QI, Have I Got News For You, Mock The Week, Ed Byrne, Frankie Boyle sometimes, Fawlty Towers, Python,  Catherine Tate.. and loads more.  I loathe Michael McIntyre.  What do you/don't you find funny?


10.  Do you watch soap operas?  If so, which is your favourite, and if not, why not?

11.  And finally - please put a link here to any of your blog posts - tell us what it's about, and why you have chosen it!


Thank you for taking the time to read this!  I hope you will now take a look at these other fine people's blogs, as they have all agreed to take part :)


I nominate these people for The Liebster Award: 


Alice Huskisson

http://alicehuskissonauthor.wordpress.com/

Jacy Brean
http://jacybrean.blogspot.co.uk/

Karen Aminadra
http://kaminadra.blogspot.co.uk/

Dawn Peers
http://crescentflame.wordpress.com/

Geoffrey West
http://www.geoffreydavidwest.com/

Bev Spicer
http://baspicer.blogspot.fr/

Lynn Gerrard
http://thegrumblinggargoyle.blogspot.co.uk/

Karena Marie
http://karenamontreal.blogspot.ca/

Skye McCoy
http://skyemccoy.blogspot.co.uk/

J E Ryder
http://jeryder.blogspot.co.uk/

Bodicia's Apple
http://a-womans-wisdom.blogspot.co.uk/





19 comments:

  1. Darling Glodie, thank you so much for playing along with this award!! So enjoyed reading your random facts and answers. I feel like we've been chatting over a nice fine wine, em, coke. Loved that blog post you chose as well. As always, you are charming, funny, witty, and just plain ole fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you, Blondie!!!! I do still drink wine in company, and even get a bit pissed, I haven't become totally dullsville, it's just that I never fancy it anymore. Saves loads of money - and of course I never get hangovers....!!! :D

      Delete
  2. Hi Terry,
    Thank you for "tagging" my blog for the Liebster Blog award. I'm honoured to be chosen, considering that my own blog site is so new that it hasn't reached puberty yet. I'm off to London later this morning for a couple of days. When I get back I'll put my thinking cap on and get down to answering your Liebster questions. If I have any trouble finding eleven blogster friends to carry the torch after me I'll let you know.
    Take care.
    J.E. Ryder :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello!,I rеally liκе your writing νery а lot!

    shаrе we keep іn touсh eхtга about уоur post on AOL?
    I nеed a ѕρеcіаlіst оn this
    area tο unravеl my ρгoblеm. Μay be
    that's you! Having a look forward to look you.

    Also visit my page ... youtube videos downloaden

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomb Raider, Mega Moolah, Mermaid's Millions, and Blackjack are some of the new Android game apps that have been released from Microgaming's partner,
    Spin 3. Thus the games like the Mahjongg Spiele as well as the Naegel machen
    games are more in demand and this is the greatest benefit or advantage of
    the online games. The player guides Phen through 10 levels
    of dungeon gameplay, finding a whole host of weapons and other items as well.


    Also visit my webpage: spiele spielen kostenlos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a
    lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided
    me.

    Feel free to surf to my blog post ... youtube videos downloaden

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://kaminadra.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/the-liebster-blog-award.html Here's my post Terry!! Thanks for tagging me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Terry,
    Here's my post for the Liebster Blog Award. Thanks for tagging me. J.E. http://jeryder.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed reading your blog as usual and great to find out some more about you. p.s love the pic of cromer
    @positivejules

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first
    comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog.
    I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    flights to Umrah
    cheap flight to jeddah
    flights to jeddah
    umrah jeddah flights
    umrah flights from London
    cheap flights to umrah

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally love wearing pajamas all day and getting so absorbed in my writing that I miss meal times, but if someone had asked me what I like about being a writer I never would have thought of those. And you certainly know more about the states than I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I tried to join the blog, but kept getting an error. :(

      Delete
  11. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first
    comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog.
    I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    flights to Umrah
    cheap flight to jeddah
    flights to jeddah
    umrah jeddah flights
    umrah flights from London
    cheap flights to umrah

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just noticed that you lived in Cromer, just been there......to visit my mother and sister! The second weird coincidence I've had with fellow authors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there, how does one apply to be awarded the Liebster Blog Award

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tara - it's not a proper award, Tara! It's just a sort of chain thing - you get nominated by a friend, do your piece, nominate your friends who you think do good blogs, and so it goes on! So if you see anyone looking for people to add to their list, you could ask to be included! :)

      Delete
  15. I also got a Liebster Award days ago, but with a different set of rules. LOL! Anyway, I'm your new follower. :) -Angel Mariel of http://myangelmariel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Angel! Thanks for reading and commenting - and following my blog! Yes there are lots of these things floating around, aren't there? Your blog hasn't come up as a link, but please do follow me on Twitter and I'll find it from your bio :)

      Delete